Welding Rods (SMAW)
Welding rods are small metal rods that conduct electric current in the lagging. They are used to supply electricity to the welded material. The quality of the welding seam depends on the welding rod and the way of movement during welding. During combustion, the welding rods produce gases whose task is to protect the weld pool from the atmosphere. Shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), also known as manual metal arc welding (MMA or MMAW) is an arc welding process that consists of arc burning between the coated electrode and the welding pool. The electrodes are the main welding material needed for this method.
Advantages of PATON Welding Rods
Advanced formula for the convenience of the welding process - easy primary and secondary glow, stable arc glow;
- high performance;
- good slag separation;
- high quality of the welding seam;
- reduced emission of harmful substances;
- high level of interaction with metal;
- safe welding process for the welder's health and safety standards;
- wide assortment, which will allow to choose the most suitable welding rods for a specific task.
Buy the best Welding Rods PATON
The choice of electrodes to be welded must be approached responsibly. The quality and durability of the weld seam depends on the correct choice. On the website you can get acquainted, choose and buy PATON welding rods according to your individual needs. When selecting the welding rods, the following parameters should be taken into account:
- diameter of the welding rod;
- kind of lagging ;
- chemical composition ;
- welding position ;
- metal thickness (the thicker the metal, the larger the diameter of the electrode to be selected) ;
- steel grade.
PATON welding rods are available in different diameters, depending on the thickness of the welded metal. The electrode also determines the current to be supplied, which can be calculated independently as follows: 30 - 40 A current is supplied for each 1 mm of the welding rod. For example, 90 - 120 A is supplied for a 3 mm diameter electrode. When welding in a vertical position the current must be reduced by 15%
- Welding rods with a diameter of 2.5 mm are used to work with material with a thickness of 3 mm - 5.5 mm; current - 70 - 100A.
- Welding rods with a diameter of 3.2 mm are used to work with material with a thickness of 4 mm - 6.5 mm; current - up to 140A.
- Welding rods with a diameter of 4 mm are used to work with material with a thickness of 6 mm - 9 mm; current - 220A.
Welding rods are divided into classes according to the type of lagging:
- Basic (B) The composition of such electrodes includes magnesium and calcium carbonates, which are mostly marble, dolomite and magnesite. Welding work on such electrodes is best done with direct current, because with alternating current fluorite added to such electrodes (in order to dilute the slag) may deteriorate the quality of the weld. But with a small amount of fluorite in the coating it is quite possible to work with alternating current.Basic electrodes are used for welding critical steel structures because the metal of the resulting seam has high ductility. A peculiarity of working with such electrodes is the fact that the seams are rather rough and convex. They should be stored in a dry place, because electrodes of this type are highly hygroscopic.
- Cellulose (C) The main feature of this type of coating is the formation of a large volume of gases and a small percentage of slag during the welding process, which is very convenient for welding vertical seams. Cellulose electrodes may contain flour and other organic compounds. This is necessary to produce a gas shield during welding.
- Rutile (R) The main ingredient is rutile, which makes up the majority of the coating, with the addition of mineral and organic substances, while these substances guarantee metal splashes in small doses and provide gas protection during the welding process. Rutile electrodes are characterized by the fact that the transfer of metal to the welding pond takes place with minimal spattering. The seam turns out to be smooth and is characterized by an easy separation of scrapes, which affects the high quality of work. Rutile electrodes also ensure that the arc of light is re-ignited, accelerating the welding process.
- A mixed electrode type - rutile-cellulose - is also available. It combines two types of electrodes - rutile (R) and cellulose (C) - and their properties.
The chemical composition of the electrodes influences the following important factors:
- stability of the electric arc;
- arrangement of molten metal and slag;
- characteristics of metal behavior during operation.
Welding Rods Paton – catalog
In our catalog we have a wide range of all types of PATON brand welding rods, which will allow everyone to choose the right product due to the characteristics and description of available electrodes. In our store you can buy high quality electrodes, at the lowest prices and with delivery all over the world. We are the official PATON distributor in the European Union with an excellent reputation and high level of professionalism.